At Phoenix Home Care, we are passionate about providing our clients with encouragement, help, and support. That’s why we offer CDS home health care services to people with physical disabilities. With consumer-directed services (CDS), clients are given the freedom to hire and direct their own personal care attendant while acquiring the skills to live independently – all within the comfort of their own home. If you or a loved one could use a helping hand, Phoenix Home Care has all the information you need to start the journey to a happier, healthier, and more independent lifestyle today.
What is CDS home health care?
Consumer-directed services (CDS) are state-funded home care services that allow adults with physical disabilities to hire and direct their own personal care attendants to assist with daily needs. To qualify for CDS, individuals must meet requirements based on income and level of need.
What are the benefits of CDS home health care?
If you choose to participate in consumer-directed services, your journey to independence will be enhanced by the following benefits:
- Achieve personal growth
- Reside in the comfort of your own home
- Gain physical and emotional support
- Receive care and assistance tailored to your needs
- Acquire new skills
- Choose your own personal care attendant
What services can I receive through CDS?
With CDS, personal care attendants provide assistance with daily tasks that do not require the aid of a licensed professional. Choosing to use consumer-directed services allows individuals with disabilities to sustain a happy and independent lifestyle. Not only do personal care attendants help with daily needs, but they can also teach their clients efficient ways to perform tasks on their own. Personal care attendants offer assistance with the following services:
- Personal hygiene
- Meal preparation and consumption
- Bowel and bladder elimination
- Shopping and transportation
- Maintenance and use of equipment and prostheses
- Ambulation and other functions of living
Am I eligible for CDS home health care?
Any individual wanting to receive consumer-directed services must meet the following criteria:
- At least 18 years of age
- Physically disabled
- Able to provide document proof of Medicaid eligibility under Title XIX of the Social Security Act
- Able to direct their own care
- Capable of living independently with the services of a personal care attendant
- Requires at least a nursing level of care
- Unmet needs must be safely met at a cost that shall not exceed the average monthly Medicaid cost of nursing facility care as determined by the Department of Social Services
- Participate in an assessment and/or evaluation conducted by DHSS
What are the consumer’s responsibilities?
The three main responsibilities of the consumer are to hire, direct, and pay their personal care attendants. If this seems like a lot to take on by yourself, Phoenix Home Care is here to help. We offer administrative services to help you through the entire process. Our knowledgeable and helpful staff will train you on how to hire and supervise your own personal care attendant, as well as explain the payroll and billing processes.
How do I choose a personal care attendant?
When choosing a personal care attendant, you can either hire someone you know, like a qualified family member or friend (excluding a spouse or anyone under 18 years old), or you can learn how to find and hire an attendant through a home care business. Phoenix Home Care can lend a helping hand to you or a loved one seeking a CDS personal care attendant. We put the safety and comfort of our clients first – that’s why we perform background checks on all personal care attendants hired through Phoenix Home Care, ensuring you are safe and satisfied with your personal care attendant.
CDS Through Phoenix Home Care
Our staff strives to make the quality of life for each individual client the best that it can be. Through the following core services, we work to promote both short- and long-term benefits to enhance all aspects of our clients’ lives:
- Independent Living Skills: We help our clients thrive in their homes by providing assistance with daily tasks and teaching valuable skills for independent growth.
- Peer Support: We understand that not all of our clients’ needs are physical. By providing an avenue to a person with a disability living independently, we offer peer support. This new friend can share their personal experience with you, help you adjust to your disability, learn problem-solving skills, and recommend community services.
- Advocacy: Your disability may create barriers for you due to inaccessibility or discrimination. Our staff and volunteers can assist in resolving these issues. We conduct disability awareness training for schools, businesses, hospitals, and civic organizations.
- Information and Referral: Are you struggling to fully understand your disability and how you can achieve an independent lifestyle? Phoenix Home Care can provide a wealth of information as well as referral systems. These avenues include, but are not limited to, direct referral via phone, specialized agencies, community support, food pantries, housing information, transportation, and home and vehicle modification to promote independence.
Consumer Directed Services From Phoenix Home Care & Hospice
If you are interested in CDS or any other services that Phoenix Home Care provides, we would love to help! If you’re unsure where to begin, you can take our home care needs assessment to find out which service is perfect for you. For more information, you can contact us online, or call us at 1-855-881-7442. Our team of dedicated professionals would be happy to provide any assistance and answer any questions you may have. Contact us today to begin your journey to a happier, healthier, and more independent you!